Geoelectrical tomography for identifying local geological and hydrogeological conditions that favored the occurrence of landslides that endanger stability of future works developed in the research area. Geoelectrical sections helped to identify the characteristics of sliding plan and establish measures to stabilize the land. The work involved exploring through cross and longitudinal sections of a line of over 8 km of highway with high traffic areas. In these circumstances it was necessary to execute certain profiles at night to avoid disrupting works in progress and traffic.
Geoelectrical tomography can be considered the lead technique in geo-electrical measurements. This method combines modern techniques of data acquisition with performing interpretation solutions.
The data acquisition is made uniform along the profile with a density established by the distance between the electrodes and the type of array used. With one length of the multielectrode cable we can obtain hundreds of resistivity measurements thus creating a 2D image of the underground resembling a tomography. This data sets are afterwards filtered and processed with a specialized software that does a 2D inversion, unlike the other methods, thus driving to the best results possible.
The high density of measuring points that are achieved with just one layout of the array make this method very useful in engineering projects. The resolution of the geoelectric tomography is very good thus making possible pointing out diverse objects in the ground.
Using special configurations of the measuring arrays, 3D images of the ground resistivity can be obtained thus making it very easy to visualize underground features (archaeological, construction or natural features).
Applications of electrical tomography:
- Aquifer description
- Detection and mapping layers of clay
- Bedrock depth
- Identification of fractures and fissures
- Mapping of sand and gravel deposits
- Sol / Layer unconsolidated
- Mineral Exploration
- Geological mapping
- Map flow direction
- Mapping groundwater depth
- Delineation of oil stains
- Mapping spots brine
- Groundwater Contamination
- Leak Detection inorganic pollutants
- Hydrocarbon Leak Detection
- Maps of saline soils
- Intrusion of salt water
- Characterization of buried waste
- Mapping and detection of cave
- Identification and mapping leaks in tanks
- Delimitation disposition pits / trenches
- Determination of the sliding plane
- Detection of voids and cavities
- Identify wells
- Old settlements
- Observation posts
- Archaeological battlefields
- Depth rocks mapping
- Rock fracture detection
- Tunnels , bridges or pipe route